Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the next mainline game in the series and it’s coming to the Nintendo Switch in March 2020! With a new deserted island setting, great new features like outdoors furniture, and stunning new graphics, it’s certain to be the best Animal Crossing game yet. (Last Updated: June 22nd, 2019)
What we know about Animal Crossing: New Horizons so far
As the latest game in the series, Animal Crossing: New Horizons introduces an entirely new setting beginning your life by arriving on a deserted island with nothing other than the Nook Inc. Getaway Package! With his getaway package, Tom Nook will help you set up your tent on the island, but he’ll start in a tent too.
Unlike previous Animal Crossing games, you’ll get to build up your town on this deserted island from absolutely nothing — a stark contrast from Animal Crossing: New Leaf where you arrived to a pre-existing town and greeted by Isabelle.
Major new features in Animal Crossing: New Horizons include…
- A brand new crafting system allows you to craft new furniture and tools using materials found around the island
- You can now place any furniture item outside anywhere on your island — the entire land is like a big house
- Proper paths can now be created with a new tool, instead of using patterns
- Up to 8 players can live on an island or play online multiplayer together
- Couch co-op local multiplayer can be enjoyed for the first time on the same system
- Completely gender-free hair and face styles can be changed at any time
- A new auto-saving function, putting Resetti out of a job
For a far more in-depth look at what’s been revealed so far from New Horizons, check out our 20 Great New Features in Animal Crossing: New Horizons Analysis & Summary and 7 Important New Discoveries in Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ Island Map Analysis articles! They’ve got everything you could possibly want to know about the game.
Other major news we’ve learned about New Horizons so far includes that Animal Crossing amiibo figures and cards will be compatible with the game, and cloud save backups with Nintendo Switch Online will NOT be supported.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons release date and pre-order
Nintendo has announced at their E3 2019 Nintendo Direct presentation that Animal Crossing: New Horizons finally has an official release date of March 20th, 2020. This marks a minor delay from the original release window of 2019 announced back in September 2018, but we’re certain it will be worth the wait!
Where to pre-order Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Many retailers have opened early pre-orders for Animal Crossing: New Horizons around the world allowing you to reserve your copy of the game in advance. The game will cost $59.99 USD in the US and £54.99 in the UK. Check out the links below to place a pre-order!